Statement of Philosophy
International education is special – featuring deep understandings, transferrable skills and, in our case, the attributes of the IB Learner Profile. Our students are talented and come with high expectations; our programs must challenge, excite, motivate and inspire.
Kindergarten (Pre KG, KG1 and KG2):
Kindergarten Level is a part of the International Baccalaureate’s (IB) Primary Years Program (PYP).
We believe in the power of child-centered and activity based learning for young children.
At Kindergarten Level (KG), students:
- Develop cognitive, social, emotional and communication skills necessary for school success
- Enjoy inquiry and curiosity guided activities
- Explore, discover and solve problems
- Learn individually and as a member of a small group
Elementary Level (Grade 1 to Grade 5):
The Elementary Level is a part of the International Baccalaureate’s (IB) Primary Years Program (PYP).
Our Elementary classrooms are full of life and wonder. Each child continues their educational adventure in a nurturing and supportive environment.
At Elementary Level:
- Emphasis is placed on a higher level of thinking and skill to challenge students
- Understanding and appreciation of the Art of Language is developed through reading and writing programs
- Everyday Math is taught, to encourage students to ‘think math’ in everyday life
Middle Level (Grade 6 - Grade 10):
The Middle Level is referred to as the International Baccalaureate’s (IB) Middle Years Program (MYP).
Our Middle School provides a responsive and nurturing environment that attends to the unique needs of adolescent students.
Throughout the Middle Level:
- Learning remains worthwhile and rewarding
- Students learn to take initiative, to think and act with intelligence
- Expressing ideas and feelings in a socially acceptable manner helps students realize their position as a global citizen
- Accepting responsibility for one’s actions and the consequences of them is expected
- Learn about social issues and conflict and change
- Mathematics is applied to the ‘real world’
- Elective options give students a chance to exercise their personal choice and personalize their school experience
- Spanish and French are offered as Foreign Language course options
High Level (Grades 11 and 12):
The High Level is when a student takes the International Baccalaureate Diploma Program (DP) or the International Baccalaureate Career-Related Certificate (IBCC).
We provide a rich array of options around a solid, traditional, liberal arts core so that students can personalize their experience while learning what it means to be a good citizen, economically self-sufficient and respectful of one’s self and others.
At this stage, students:
- Can study subjects that suit their talents, passions, needs and aspirations
- Are given enough trust, mentorship, responsibility and self-direction to achieve their own personal excellence
- Are prepared for work, college and/or university
- Learn to consider future usefulness in a changing world as a key criterion
- Are provided learning opportunities in the areas of: economics, business entrepreneurship, design technology and fabrication, multimedia game and web design, mathematics, language arts, science, world history and civics
- Learn to think more robustly, speak and write clearly, critically and creatively – the hallmarks of educated people